Mary Ann Allison mentioned in an Overcoming Wicked Problems and Accelerated Change seminar earlier this year that “change is a result of success.” I’ve kept that positive thought in mind as I’ve recently worked on uprooting myself from my DC life to go toward a NY life. A brief overview:
1. Accepted a lateral BC position in Florida; 2 weeks later I was notified I’d been accepted for a FOD position (a promotion) in NY; realigned everything for the change including changing the order of a new green Mustang convertible to the purchase of a new white Subaru to accommodate the snowy winters.
2. Traveled to NY to pick a new place to live where I had to decide between a cute and cozy apartment in the historic district and an urban loft in the downtown area choosing the loft apartment primarily because it was the one that offered covered parking. (I do not want to shovel snow out around the car or scrape the windows any more than necessary.)
3. Arrived home from the apartment hunting trip on Friday to discover a team member had a healthy baby boy 2 weeks before her role model, HRH Middleton, delivered a baby boy too; a good change, welcome CEC.
4. Saturday, a friend I met on my first day in DC passed suddenly of an infection, a sad change in the life continuum (sail on TG); my last day at work (Thursday) was also the day the agency chose to honor her life, it seemed fitting somehow.
5. Two themes here:
a. Friday: my work laptop crashed.
b. Monday: dental appointment to test the final crown.
c. Tuesday: my personal laptop crashed.
d. Moving Day Thursday: Movers were to arrive at 8am; they arrived at 11:30am and stayed until 6:30pm; my blackberry crashed.
e. Friday: supposed final dental appointment, haircut, manicure, and a lovely dinner. (Thanks BH!)
6. Saturday 9AM: final dental appointment to seat the adjusted crown; the lab tech actually worked Friday night and delivered it at 9am on a Saturday, waiting and watching to ensure no other adjustments would be needed.
7. Saturday 10AM: traveled to NY which included a lovely tour through Virginia and Maryland with Sirius XM Channel 24 Margaritaville Radio keeping me company; Pennsylvania brought rain, a road closure, a detour and a large rain storm during the switchbacks and S curves; yet as I crossed the state line into NY, the sun came out. I’m taking that as a sign that change is good.
Buffalo is hosting its annual garden tour this weekend. I’m thinking that is a great way to get to know my new city.
Hugs and Happy Sunday everyone.