Basic rules of Plain Language
- Help your audience find what they need
- Help your audience understand what they found
- Help your audience use what they found to meet their needs
Use no more than 7 bullets in a series
Use I in the question and You in an answer:
- When can I file?
- You can file at ….?
Do not use shall, use must.
Use active voice
- Make sure the verb follows the subject
- Add ‘by’ to end to find the passive voice
Put exceptions at the end
Put cites as a footnote or at the end of a sentence
Confirm all cites before using them
Consider terms of art vs. legalese
- You cannot change terms of art
- You can change legalese