“My life has been filled with terrible misfortunes, most of which never happened.” – Michel de Montaigne
We are constantly drawn to conclusions whether we are aware of them or not. (Blink) 4 steps – evidence, how we show up, how others around us show up, conclusion.
- Physical vitality
- Enjoyment (the opposite of enjoy is to consume, to guzzle, chomp through, use up; it is “let’s make it through this” instead of “let’s savor this moment”)
“You and I are here to be conscious conduits of energies.” Your sludge is the incomplete use of your life’s energy. Steps:
- start small;
- do only what is in front of you;
- promise the result, not the effort;
- bring who you are with you;
- acknowledge even the smallest result at the border
- trade your excuses for results;
- Keep your promises with clarify, focus, ease, and grace.
- Evaluate “Are you green and growing or ripe and rotting?”
Keeping luminosity high
When you make an error, go back, and correct it as soon as possible. If you do not, you will begin to experience symptoms of incoherence: frustration, resignation, and cynicism. Frustration is a feeling of disappointment, exasperation, or weariness caused by aims being thwarted. They are impediments to luminosity.
Consider the holographic universe – there is a whole in every part. An action in any part of our life is an action of our whole life. A change on a small whole piece changes all the small whole pieces instantaneously.
Small, sweet steps taken one at a time, not only change our lives incrementally; they also instantly shift our whole life to a new level. “It is not how much we give, but how much love we put into the giving.” – Mother Teresa.
Being incoherent in your life saps your life’s energy.
i. Gossiping does not make you a good team player
ii. Eating fatty food does not make you a healthy person
iii. Littering does not make you a creator of beauty
Cleaning up your incoherence is essential. However, cleaning things up, only takes us to a neutral state, to relief. To get to joy, we must seek harmony, satisfaction, and meaning in our lives.
“From time to time a few sitting at the table with their eyes closed will open their eyes and see the feast in front of them and begin to eat. Then a cheer will go up from the people around them, welcoming them to the feast.”
i. Bring your capacity to be willing with you wherever you go.
ii. Being willing keeps you humble, keeps you spiritually supple.
- Take principled action
- Shift your focus from responsibility to privilege
- Don’t settle for happiness, go for luminosity
- Consider your contributions
- Cultivate gratitude, the key to grace.
CITE: Mastering Life’s Energies: Simple Steps to a Luminous Life at Work and Play, Maria Nemeth, Ph.D. (New World Library, Novato, California, 2007)
Love and light,