Quotes from Dr. Jess Lair’s book, I Ain’t Much Baby, But I’m All I’ve Got:
- Being real means accepting yourself as you are not as you want to be.
- When you accept yourself, you change; when you accept others, they change.
- Decide what behavior you want from others and reinforce it; if you don’t like a behavior, stop reinforcing it.
- As children, we felt unworthy and caved into our parents wants because we wanted their love. This can exist in our adult lives so we twist our behavior into that which will please our parents and/or society or we will rebel against everything they want.
- Only you can be the captain of your ship; Everything you do is bound together. You can’t be better at working than living. You can’t be a better mother, sister, executive than you can be at living. People who are having difficulties in these areas are running away from themselves. Accepting yourself as you are creates a calmer world because you stop bugging people.
How are you at accepting yourself? What areas do you feel you need to work on?