Jolts are short activities usually 3 minutes.
JOLT 1 – CLAP
- Clap after I say 3
- 1, 2, Clap 3; everyone will clap when you do even though you told them to clap after 3. Why? Debrief: It’s not what you say; it’s what you do.
JOLT 2 – WORDS
Say 14 words; repeat one word often, say first word, last word and say an inappropriate word; have people write down all the words they remember.
Ask about the above words but also ask bed; a word that wasn’t there. People wrote it.
Debrief: You remember the first and last thing you hear; you remember things you hear more than once; You remember things that don’t fit; You add things not there that do fit.
JOLT 3 – FINGER IN THE AIR
Clock on the ceiling, go clockwise; lower finger to waist level continuing to go clockwise; what do you see? Finger appears to go counter clockwise
Debrief: It’s how you perceive the problem
JOLT 4 – DAYS OF THE WEEK
- Say days of the week out loud and stand up when done
- Say days of the week out loud alphabetically and sit down when done
Debrief: When you learn something one way and have to learn it another way it takes time at it is more difficult.
FRIDAY, MONDAY, SATURDAY, SUNDAY THURSDAY, TUESDAY, WEDNESDAY
JOLT 5 – 3 RUBIES
- 10, 20, 21
- 3, 6, 7
- 1000, 2000, 2001
- Other examples: 4, 8, 9; 2, 4, 5; 10, 11, 12; 6, 10, 9003
Debrief: Hypothesis – Getting affirmation is meaningless; errors and wrong answers teach you things
JOLT 6 – GREEN DOT ON WHITE PAGE
- What do you see?
- Why did you concentrate on the green spot; not the big amount of white paper?
Debrief: Concentrate on the strengths, not the spots
JOLT 7- DRAW A TREE
- Did you draw roots?
Debrief: We ignore the things we do not see
JOLT 8 – CREATE THE LONGEST SENTENCE YOU CAN
- Use one word only for two minutes; then use two words only for one minute; the have a writer for 2 minutes.
Debrief: Focus on the speaker/customer; power balance is equal; concentrates your listening skill
Reference: Thiagi Thiagarajan
For a list of Sheila’s books, check out http://www.amazon.com/-/e/B003HWM3PI