ACTIVITY 1: Fenway Park
- Fenway seats 33,000 people
- 33,000 people die each year from suicide
ACTIVITY 2: Presentation
- You just gave a 16 minute presentation
- There is one suicide death every 16 minutes
ACTIVITY 3: Chairs
- Using chairs is a great visual example for percentages
- Act out numbers/percentages
- Move your numbers from cold figures to emotional response.
- Use stories to make numbers more real and memorable
- Use known references
- Use pictures
- Always present the story behind the numbers to make the numbers relevant
- What does it mean?
- Where does it come from?
- What is the data?
- Why is it important?
- What actions can you take?
- Remember a surprise at the end to hook the audience
- Brian Remer and Kate Koski
- Articles Made to Stick from Fast Company magazine
- Wolfram Search Engine for statistical examples
- How to lie with statistics
- Miniature earth from Google
For a list of Sheila’s books, check out http://www.amazon.com/-/e/B003HWM3PI