1. Exercise regularly. Even walking 30 minutes a day is helpful. Exercising increases energy, can help prevent diseases, helps to manage stress, and helps to maintain weight. Your goal should be 30 minutes of moderate exercise 5 times a week and 20 minutes of vigorous exercise 3 times a week.
2. Take care of your heart by maintaining a healthy blood pressure, lowering your LDL cholesterol level, and raising your HDL cholesterol level. Check with your health professional to determine your appropriate body mass and resting heart rate. Then work on ways to maintain them.
3. Avoid destructive habits by choosing healthy habits. Stop smoking. Manage your alcohol consumption. Stop recreational drug use. Manage your sexual activities to prevent disease.
4. Practice safe behaviors. Use your seat belt when driving. Use car seats for children. Don’t drive or ride with someone who is driving intoxicated or otherwise chemically altered. Physical coordination and alertness can be alerted easily. Take notice and make good choices.
5. Take responsibility for your health. Get regular check ups, mammograms (ladies), colonoscopies (every 10 years after 50), and regular dental appointments.
6. Manage your stress and time. Your mind and body work in union. Stress can create physical problems such as heart disease, high blood pressure, headaches, and digestive disorders. Determine areas of your stress and determine ways to eliminate it from your life. Learn relaxation techniques. Exercise. Get a massage. Find your stress relievers and enjoy them.
7. Have a positive outlook. Difficult experiences are often opportunities to learn. A positive attitude can make all the difference.
8. Recognize and meet your personal needs. Each person has unique needs. Meeting those needs makes a person feel satisfied and gives them a sense of well being. If you need alone time, take it. If you need to be with friends, call them.
9. Find your purpose in life. What is your talent, your gift, your abilities, your interests? Find your purpose in the answers and work toward it. Is it helping disadvantaged people, environmental conservation, teaching or parenting? Do it.
10. Determine your values. Your values are what you use to measure the things in your life. Activities that conflict with your values will cause guilt and internal struggles. Determining your values helps you be consistent in your behaviors to live the life you’ve chosen.
11. Seek harmony with yourself, with others and with your higher power. A positive self-image is important to your well being. Accept yourself with all your strengths and weaknesses. Forgive yourself for the mistakes you make. Have confidence that you can make positive changes in your life. Reach out to the people around you. Work on repairing damaged relationships. Practice patience and acceptance in all relationships. Do not focus on the past. Look to God for your source of daily strength. Seek personal renewal daily.
12. Know how you feel. Feelings can be spontaneous, uncontrollable responses to situations. Whether you feel joy, anger, jealousy, excitement, loneliness, compassion, fear, or hope, admit that you feel that way. Identify your emotions and explore why you feel a particular way.
13. Express and communicate your feelings appropriately. Acting immediately on your feelings without considering how your behavior will affect you and others is not acting responsibly. Anger can be expressed without violence and tantrums.
14. Find and develop close relationships. Deep, lasting relationships are a source of happiness and comfort. A few intimate friends can share in your joys and help in your time of sorrow. To develop a close relationship, you must be willing to give of yourself and to receive from others.
15. Act assertively but with courtesy and respect. Clearly state what you think or how you feel. Do not force your will on others or submit to the will of others. Be courteous but firm. Treat others and yourself with respect and tolerance. Do what you think is right and stand up for what you believe.
Reference: Health Edco 2007.