Having succeeded in losing the Buffalo 12 and taking a wonderful cheat day that included a sausage and cheese pizza slice, a whopper with cheese, onion rings and a large sweet tea, I’m began working on losing the DC 35 still using South Beach Diet. However, since I’ve lost more than 5% of my body weight, I’ve moved to Phase 2. More hints from the South Beach Diet include:
If you must have fast food, have it no more than once a week. Then order only a grilled chicken breast and a salad with oil and vinegar dressing. Drink only water or coffee. Say no to sugary drinks, say no to fries, and say no to burgers and fish.
When eating in a restaurant practice the following:
- Have a protein snack 15 minutes before going to the restaurant; this will keep you out of the bread basket.
- Start with drinking water and okay to have up to 2 glasses of red wine; say no to sugary drinks, aperitifs, and liquor.
- Order a clear soup / broth to extend the length of the meal and to slow the digestion
- Do not eat rice or potatoes in restaurants
- Do not order anything fried; roasted, broiled, braised, baked or sauteed is okay, but not fried
- If you order something with a sauce, ask for the sauce on the side
- If possible, choose a Greek or Mediterranean menu. If eating Italian, ask for ½ order of the pasta, and ensure you have vegetables, a salad, and meat or fish
- If you have to have dessert, have fruit. If you must have something sweeter, have fruit with 3 teaspoons of ice cream. If you must have a decadent dessert, order it and have 3 teaspoons of it
Update: Moving from Phase 1 was a little tricky to move to Phase 2. It was easy to add the bread back to the diet, but the fruit was trickier. Whenever you eat fruit, you must remember to eat protein with it to slow the blood sugar. I eventually remembered this and solved the problem by adding nuts with the fruit. But the first few times I had fruit alone, which is not what the plan recommends. Still, they were probably the best apples I’ve ever had after several days without any sweets.
Reference: Agaston, Arthur (2005) The South Beach Diet: The Delicious, Doctor-Designed, Foolproof Plan for Fast and Healthy Weight Loss