Tips for intellectual reading: The mind works from the whole to part of the whole.
- Read the overview of the main issues of the book or report.
- Review the table of contents.
- Review a few reviews.
- Read the book with a pencil in hand.
- Read the surface structure of the chapter
- Read the chapter; every 2 or 3 paragraphs, write a summary of the main arguments in the margin; they become your chapter outline, then write a summary of the chapter; then add any of your own thoughts.
- Inside the cover of the book or on a blank page, create your own index with page numbers and notes. (n.b. = note bene which equals take note).
CITE: Moreland, J. Love Your God with all Your Mind, Colorado Springs, CO. NavaPress, Inc.