Five Steps to Navigating the Social Exchange Perspective Landscape by Dr. Ernest Jones
Leaders seeking to implement organizational interventions face many challenges – interruptions, competing priorities, and complex interconnectedness can inhibit not only managerial effectiveness but also the manager’s ability to motivate team members. Self-managing behaviors, actions of internal motivation, presumes that any increase in the expression of internally held motivation is good for the organization. The outputs of social rules, such as fairness and justice, normative commitment, and reciprocity norms, is produced through exchange beliefs and distributed through exchange intentions.
The Internally Motivated Achievers are characterized by a strong sense of obligation to the organization. They believe:
- I owe it to my organization to do whatever I can to ensure our customers are well served and satisfied.
- I continue to look for new ways to improve the effectiveness of my work.
- I owe it to my organization to give 100% of my energy to the organization’s goal while I’m at work.
- I feel a personal obligation to do whatever I can do to help my organization achieve its goals.
The Supported and Satisfied Performers believe:
- My organization values my contributions to its well being.
- I feel a strong sense of belonging to my organization.
- My organization strongly considers my goals and values.
- My organization takes pride in my accomplishments.
- I feel emotionally attached to my organization.
Internally motivated achievers use high level of self- managing actions and maintain effective working relationships. Supported and Satisfied Performers maintain good working relationships but do not do anything to improve them.
These and other mental models provide a robust method to determine various perspectives. The immediate benefit is that subsequent observation in light of the understanding of the perspective landscape could lead to deeper insight. For more information, check out the complete chapter below.
Or, check out the complete book at http://www.amazon.com/Refractive-Thinker%C2%AE-Effective-Motivation-Communication ebook/dp/B00PTHL56C/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1423618069&sr=8-2&keywords=refractive+thinker+viii