Overeating is your seeking to contain your swirling emotions, to put them somewhere, to put a lid on them, to make yourself numb, so you won’t have to feel them at all. For the food addict, feelings that should be processed by the mind are often displaced onto the body where they cannot be processed, and where they remain stored within your flesh.
The only way to remove the weight of unprocessed feelings is to actually feel them. Feelings that aren’t acknowledged cannot be fully felt. You can’t get rid of your pain without admitting to yourself that it is there. Emotions need to be felt the way that food needs to be chewed, completely. Don’t discount your feelings. Your emotions hold wisdom, your wisdom. Your suffering through these doesn’t make you weak. Your avoidance of suffering makes you weak.
- Create a lovely “God” box, made however you please.
- Add these sayings:
- Give me Your pain and I will take it from you.
- Place all of this in My hands.
- Seek to forgive, and you will have peace.
- Give me your errors, and I will correct them for you.
- You are deeply loved. Nothing you do can change My love for you.
- Add any other spiritual/inspirational quotes to the box.
- As you work with your feelings, remember to write, “Dear God, I surrender this feeling to you.”
- Open the God box, pick a saying, and read it.
- Meditate on the saying.
Source: Williamson, Marianne. A course in weight-loss: 21 spiritual lessons for surrendering your weight forever.