Do you do anything listed here…..?
- Comparing – Checking to see if you measure up in terms of intelligence, wit, competence, suffering, etc.
- Mind reading – Pay attention to what you think someone “really” means based on your feelings, assumptions, and hunches.
- Rehearsing – Mentally planning your response while the other person is talking.
- Filtering – Tuning out certain topics.
- Judging – Deciding ahead of time that the other person is not worth listening to because s/he is ‘stupid’, ‘incompetent’, ‘crazy’, etc. or your prejudice toward their color, origin, language style, etc.
- Dreaming – Wandering thoughts are taking you everywhere but the conversation that is happening.
- Identifying – Something the person says triggers a thought that takes you away from the conversation. (He did that to me last week.)
- Advising – Jumping in with advice when the person has barely stopped talking. Fixing things may not be what the other person wants.
- Sparring – Listening long enough to find something to disagree with and assert your position.
- Being Right – Preparing during the conversation to show how right you are.
- Derailing – Changing the subject because you are bored or uncomfortable with the conversation.
- Placating – Being so concerned that you are being nice, agreeable or liked that you agree with everything the speaker says,
Cite: Training Werks, Inc.