Myth 1 – I’ll use the same skills as a supervisor as I did as an individual contributor.
- False – Work to develop your people skills in particular. Concentrate on developing excellent communication skills, negotiating, coaching, and motivating skills.
Myth 2 – I’ll use my power to get results.
- False – Credibility is how you will get results. Build your credibility by listening more than you talk; consistently demonstrating your character by doing the right thing; using influence to get others to do the right thing
Myth 3 – I’ll have much more freedom.
- False – You’ll have less freedom. Manage successfully despite the lack of freedom by sharing your power and exchanging valued resources.
Myth 4 – I can learn the job through training.
- False – On the job experience is how you’ll learn how to lead. Do this by gathering feedback about your performance, reflecting on your experiences, and identifying probably challenges.
Myth 5 – Focus on individual relationships.
- False – Focus on a strong team relationship by using group forums to solve problems and provide motivation and support.