- Are you stressed?
- Can’t relax?
- Can’t focus?
- Can’t let annoyances go?
- Do you feel incomplete?
- Do you worry and rehearse and plan the future?
- Do you spend time reliving and recalling past memories?
- Are you demanding and self-critical?
- Do you believe that whatever you do, you should still do more?
- Are you always craving for something more? Something bigger?
- Basic goodness is food for the soul. Some people feel goodness intimately within them while others have lost touch. Whether you feel it or not, basic goodness arises out of your essential spiritual nature. Spiritual basic goodness can be covered over and hidden, but it cannot be destroyed. We can believe to feel it again once we start paying attention and being present again.
No matter how out of touch we may be, no matter how underdeveloped or unrecognized your basic goodness, it always exists within you, ready to be uncovered and developed into a source of sustenance for the soul. Work on caring and compassion as a way to get beyond bad feelings so you can find and experience the goodness within.
To refrain from evil,
To achieve the good,
To purify one’s own mind,
This is the teaching of the Awakened Ones.
Cite: Losing the Weight of the World: A Spiritual Diet to Nourish the Soul by Jonathan Kramer, and Diane Dunaway Kramer