Years before the success of The Secret, there was a small book entitled The Prayer of Jabez. This book was based on one biblical verse. It deconstructed the verse, created a 30-day plan for the reader to follow, and also gave the reader a spiritual defense plan to follow. I first read this book in 2005. I read it again three years later. Each time I prayed the prayer and followed the program, my life was changed. Because of that, I’ll paraphrase it here. The Prayer of Jabez is listed in I Chronicles 4:10. It reads,
“Oh that You would bless me indeed, and enlarge my territory, that Your Hand would be with me, and that You would keep me from evil that I may not cause pain. So God granted him what he requested.”
The Prayer of Jabez deconstructed:
- Jabez was an honorable man, respected, wise, and mature.
- Bless means to bestow favor and kindness.
- Blessings are for the common good, the conduct, the conversion, and the compensation.
- Territory can mean your work, your family, your ministry, and your personal relationships.
- Indeed means intensely and immensely.
The Prayer of Jabez is not a weak wish, but a fervent desire. Every blessing, large or small, is from God. We are reminded in James 4:2 and Matthew 7:7-8 that we do not have because we do not ask so to ask and continue to ask until we receive.
Implementing the Prayer of Jabez – For 30 days, say the prayer. Ask daily. Thank God for His blessing. Enjoy God’s blessings. Share the blessings with others.